In this workshop, students will design and make a gift box. This gift box will surprise anyone who opens it.
Difficulty Level: 3
Number of Participants: 1~24
● Prepare a name label for each student in case they don’t know each other
● Arrange tables and chairs in U-shape for each team
● Put tools and other materials in two specified places of the room
● Design and make a gift box
● Learn to build up a circuit with BOSON
● Use digital media tools to shoot video clips
● BOSON Inventor Kit V1.0 (Refer to introduction for more details)
● Gift box
● Colored Ribbon
● Camera or Smart Phone
Students should be informed of the award and evaluation criteria. Special awards will be given to individuals or teams who perform well in the competition.
5min Get to know a gift box
8~12min a. What is BOSON? b. Project interaction display c. Get to know modules and learn how to connect
● Start Making
10~20min a. Analyze and check b. Assemble c. Decoration
5min a. Test structure and function
5~10min a. Project optimization
5~20min a. Video shooting b. Project presentation
5min Project evaluation
● Clean up
5min Dismantle projects and clean up
5min Projects review
Warm-up (5min): teachers ask some questions about surprise gift to lead students to think about how to design it.
● Do you like exchanging gifts with your friends when celebrating festivals?
● Do you have any ideas on how to make a special and awesome gift?
a.What is BOSON?
b.Project interaction display
c. Get to know modules and learn how to connect
What is BOSON? Teachers play the video below to show students what BOSON is？
Project interaction present
● Teachers demonstrate the project interaction effect using material objects.
● Present the project effect by playing video
BOSON module function and connection
Teachers tell students the module name and similar applications in daily life.
The surprise gift box needs power from main-board and power source.
When the gift box is opened, it will control the circuit output, how does it do this?
Use a motion sensor, it is a sensor.
If we want to record some blessing audio message in the box, how do we realize that?
Use the voice recorder module, it is an actuator.
How can the box play the blessing message we recorded before? We need a speaker, it is an actuator.
How about making the gift box shine with colorful lighting?
Use the multicolor string light, it is an actuator.
When someone opens the gift box, the motion sensor will activate the speaker and light strip to work simultaneously. How can one signal of a motion sensor control two actuators at the same time? A splitter module, also function module, does the work.
Have you noticed the color of these BOSON modules? Red is for power supply, blue for sensor, and green for actuator. How to connect them correctly?
Place the blue sensor on the left side of the power board, and the green actuator on the right side.
The yellow function module can be placed between the sensor and the power main board or between the power main board and the actuator according to its function.
Start Making (10min~20min):
Analyze (how to realize functions and connect hardware) and check; assemble; decorate.
Test whether the project structure is firm and all the modules are tightly clamped.
Test whether the surprise gift box works as expected.
Can you improve your gift box to make it more surprising? How about recording some really special blessing words or decorating the box with a unique pattern of LED strips.
a.Shoot a video for the project, and post it to social account.
● Project display
● Effect demonstration
● Group photo
b.Present and introduce the project on stage
● Introduce the basic function of the project
● What improvements have you made? And why do you do that?
● What’s the highlight of your project?
Assess students’ works according to the Evaluation Criteria(see appendix) and select the best one.
Clean up (5min)
● Dismantle the BOSON module on the project
● Put all modules back to the BOSON box.
● Put Inventor Kit and Tools to the specified place.
● Clean up the litters on the table and ground.
● Why will the speaker play sounds and the LED strip light up when the box is opened?
● What will happen if swapping the positions of the recorder module(including speaker) and LED strip?
Here are some factors that should be taken into account when designing this workshop, and teachers can adjust, add or cancel some unimportant parts of the process as actual conditions.
● Age: adjust the requirement of skill and knowledge according to students’ age and cognitive ability.
● Time: 50 minutes or more.
● Number of Students: control the number of students and choose to carry out a project in the form of individuals or groups as the actual scene.
Paper Model & Lego: Paper, lego blocks or other materials can also be used to design a gift box.
Evaluation Criteria: teachers can observe students in the whole process to evaluate their performance.