In this workshop, students will design and make a message box. Like the answering machine in our daily life, the box can record our voice and play it.
Difficulty Level: 1
Number of Participants: 1~24
● Prepare a name label for each student in case they don’t know each other
● Arrange tables and chairs in U-shape for each team
● Put tools and other materials in two specified places of the room
● Design and make a message box
● Learn to build up a circuit with BOSON
● Use digital media tools to shoot video clips
● BOSON Inventor Kit V1.0 (Refer to introduction for more details)
● Paper Model (See appendix)
● Colored Paper
● Colored Pen
● Camera or Smart Phone Time 1~1.5 hours
Students should be informed of the award and evaluation criteria. Special awards will be given to individuals or teams who perform well in the competition.
5min Get to know a message machine
8~12min a. What is BOSON? b. Project interaction display c. Get to know modules and learn how to connect
● Start Making
10~20min a. Analyze and check b. Cut paper c. Assemble
5min a. Test structure and function
5~10min a. Project appearance optimization
5~20min a. Video shooting b. Project presentation
5min Project evaluation
● Clean up
5min Dismantle projects and clean up
5min Projects review
Warm-up (5min): teachers ask some questions about message machine to lead students to think about how to design it.
● In what situation will you use an answering machine?
● What are the benefits of answering machine in our life？
● We could use a paper note to leave message sometimes. Paper Note vs Answering Machine, which one is better for our environment?
a.What is BOSON?
b.Project interaction display
c. Get to know modules and learn how to connect
What is BOSON? Teachers play the video below to show students what BOSON is？
Project interaction present
● Teachers demonstrate the project interaction effect using material objects.
● Present the project effect by playing video
BOSON module function and connection
Teachers tell students the module name and similar applications in daily life.
The message box needs power from main-board and power source.
How can we control the message box to play sound? Use a push button, it is a sensor.
How do we record the voice?
Use the voice recorder module, it is an actuator.
For playing sound, we need a speaker, it is an actuator.
Have you noticed the color of these BOSON modules? Red is for power supply, blue for sensor, and green for actuator. How to connect them correctly?
Place the blue sensor on the left side of the power board, and the green actuator on the right side.
Start Making (10min~20min):
Analyze (how to realize functions and connect hardware) and check; cut paper; assemble.
Test whether the project structure is firm and all the modules are tightly clamped.
Test whether the message box works as expected.
Use colored pen or paper to beautify the appearance of the project.
a.Shoot a video for the project, and post it to social account.
● Project display
● Effect demonstration
● Group photo
b.Present and introduce the project on stage
● Introduce the basic function of the project
● What improvements have you made? And why do you do that?
● What’s the highlight of your project?
Assess students’ works according to the Evaluation Criteria(see appendix) and select the best one.
Clean up (5min)
● Dismantle the BOSON module on the project
● Put all modules back to the BOSON box.
● Put Inventor Kit and Tools to the specified place.
● Clean up the litters on the table and ground.
● If we pressed the button all the time, how many times will the sound be played?
● What’s the working principle of the recorder module? Select one or more answers from the following.
□Without signal □With signal □Changeable signal (□Gradually disappear □Gradually appear）
Here are some factors that should be taken into account when designing this workshop, and teachers can adjust, add or cancel some unimportant parts of the process as actual conditions.
● Age: adjust the requirement of skill and knowledge according to students’ age and cognitive ability.
● Time: 50 minutes or more.
● Number of Students: control the number of students and choose to carry out a project in the form of individuals or groups as the actual scene.
Paper Model: the figure below can be printed as a paper model.
Lego: Lego blocks or other materials can also be used to build a message box.
Evaluation Criteria: teachers can observe students in the whole process to evaluate their performance.